Wednesday 1 March 2017

WHAT THEY DON'T SAY ABOUT NASA

I'm terrible with local politics or any kind of politics. I found out The Trump was the new POTUS perhaps a day after everyone else. Can't wait for the next elections when we'll all be using his own phrase on him, "You're fired!" Recently, when my relas were arguing about NASA in our "Mugoci Crew" whatsapp group, I was quiet the whole time because I wasn't up to date with NASA space station manenos. I had absolutely no clue was this NASA thing was. Things were heating up, but I just wanted silly memes!!!
So I've done a little research and now I can confidently say what they don't say about NASA. This means a lot to me and my cleaning service, but once you know this, it may change the way you clean.

Image: Urbery
N is for NATURAL Products
That's right. White Vinegar, Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon. When we look at home-made (green cleaning) products, these ingredients form the foundation. You get a great toilet cleaner by mixing 50:50 parts vinegar to baking soda. A solution of 50% vinegar and 50% Dish liquid does wonders to cut grease and clean soap scum. Equal part vinegar and water makes a good window cleaner. The list is endless. Natural products leave no harmful residue. They're good to use when you have pets and vulnerable persons in your home.

A is for AMMONIA
Have you every burnt cooking oil? Yeah, like you haven't even started cooking and the pan has gone black! Or let's say your partner, lovingly prepares a meal of fries in a pan that's over flowing with hot oil so that it burns outside the pan as well as the burner itself to a real black coating. I hear Ammonia will sort it out. Ammonia emits a pungent smell so always use in a well ventilated area. You can use ammonia to sparkle jewellery, but it's also corrosive, so don't soak your cartier bracelet for more than 5 minutes.

S is for SALT
There are so many kinds of salts out there. For purposes of consumption, the best salt is unrefined salt such as sea salt. However, for our cleaning needs, you can use whichever. Use salt and lemon to freshen your chopping board. Boil hot water and flush it down the drain of your kitchen sink with some salt to clear grease. Use salt to deal with perspiration stains and to lift mucus off your used handkerchiefs. Sprinkle salty water to deter ants from your kitchen counter tops. What can I say? What a versatile ingredient.

Image: Kenlan Liquor Store
A is for ALCOHOL
We've all used alcohol to disinfect a bruise or cut. They come in various forms such as Surgical spirit, Methylated spirit and Home Dry Cleaner. But did you know that you could also use your favourite booze as a cleaner or disinfectant? Whiskey and Brandy are high in alcohol content which can effectively kill germs and sanitise.  (Though I'm not so sure about busaa or chum). You might have seen in the movies...a guy gashes his knee, he reaches for his whiskey flask and gives the bruise a sprinkle to clean it up...but then he tears off his dirty sleeve to cover the wound and contaminates it again! Stale beer is a good wood polisher. So next time you're served stale beer at your local, tell the bartender to save it for clean-up time.


That's it for my NASA. Is there another acronym I should explore? JUBILEE is too long, and besides I don't know of any cleaner that starts with "J". I could use some help here!!!


Read more articles here
Like us at Tulip Facebook
Tulip Cleaning Website
Follow us on Twitter @tulip_ke

4 comments:

  1. Love your post...anything that has nothing to do with politics always catches my eye!

    I can help with the JUBILEE acronym though...J = Jeyes Fluid (or as my mum calls it Jessie fluid) is a great all round cleaner and makes the toilets smell especially fresh...even pit latrines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am the worst with politics! Thanks for the info. I'll look it up.

      Delete
  2. It is best for outdoor cleaning though as I have just found out.

    ReplyDelete