Monday 27 March 2017

FEEL THE CHANGE

I have said this a number of times in previous posts: I am not a clean freak. And yet I'm always blogging about ways to get cleaner or how to remove this or that stain. So what's all this about? Well, one day things just changed: when I got a tiny little premie called Noni. Noni came into our world straight after New Year's celebrations. All of a sudden very inch of the house seemed dirty or dusty or both - we had to clean up and keep it that way, ALWAYS.
Since cleaning isn't fun (for those who have a life), I googled and found innovative ways and tools (like microfibre cloths and spray bottles) just to make it a little more interesting.

It's been two years now, and even though you probably wouldn't eat from my floor, I can say it's cleaner than most. Let me list a few things that changed in the past 2 years:

1. Before I had one designated hand washing sink. Now I make sure there's liquid hand wash at every sink in the house. Not a cake of soap, since that can transfer germs from one person to another. Also, I don't wipe my hands after washing.
2. I used to keep my supa brite scrub until it looked like something from a cow's mouth. Now I throw away the dish scrub/sponge as soon as it starts looking old. I learnt that the dish scrub is a bacteria hub.
3. I also wash the kitchen/table cloth every other night to prevent slime. I add vinegar in the water to get rid of any nasty smells.
4. I add a little disinfectant into the floor mopping water one day, and jik the following day. Jik is chlorine based, which helps prevent mold. This is perfect when washing the bathroom.
5. I always keep my cleaning cloths and mops clean and dry. That means after using them, they are washed in clean water and soap and put out to dry. This keeps them fresh and ready to use.

That said, there's still more I could do the improve cleanliness in my house:
1. Currently, I dispose of the kitchen refuse once a week. The outside dumpster is available at all times so I should probably do this every other day.
2. My sofas and carpets are vacuumed once a month. I should do this on a weekly basis because lately we've been sneezing a lot.
3. My kitchen curtains could do with a more regular wash compared to other curtains. Since I have no hood over my cooker, all the steam, along with grease and dust sits on the fabric and makes it dull and ugly. Gosh, I need to have these washed tomorrow!
4. I know a very easy way to clean plastic and glass lamp shades without taking them off the light fixture. So why aren't I cleaning them?!! Laziness.
5. Decluttering: I still have that box that stores my electronic waste (mentioned in an old post). I have an attic that's full of auto parts, wood off-cuts and carton boxes filled with stuff. That junk has to go.

It can only get better from here. So, yeah, I feel a change coming right here in my house. And I'm ready for it.

Read more articles here
Like us at Tulip Facebook
Tulip Cleaning Website
Follow us on Twitter @tulip_ke





No comments:

Post a Comment