Friday 24 February 2017

HOW TO CLEAN YOUR IRON BOX

Ironing clothes is an interesting chore. You either love it or hate it. When I iron my clothes I completely zone out. I get lost in thoughts and projections... and before I know it, I'm done. You don't want to be completely alert when ironing, it's like watching paint dry.



Unfortunately, this daydreaming we succumb to often leads to damaging clothes and sometimes the iron box itself. And however careful you are, an uncoated iron box plate eventually gets this black sticky mess from burnt lint, dust and dirt. My iron box is a hardy Philips appliance, with an uncoated plate. So every now and then, I get this gunk that is a nuisance to remove. Well, until I learnt how to easily deal with it.

All you need is some bicarbonate of soda, a little water and a clean dry cloth or sponge (that you won't mind throwing away). Let the iron box get just a little warm then unplug. Make a paste with the bicarb and water and then apply onto the iron plate stain. Let it sit for 5 minutes or a little longer (depending on the extent of the stain).




Then, using the dry cloth, rub off the paste. The bicarbonate of soda will lift off the dirt quite neatly. I used my bare thumb in this illustration, but a dry cloth or sponge would be a better choice. This method beats steel wool any day, if you want to preserve the finish on your iron box (As you can see, mine shows evidence of abuse).

I've had this iron box for over 6 years now. Perhaps it's time I got a coated one. Anyone there working at Philips?...

Read more posts here.
Visit my Website.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks I have been trying all kinds of methods let me see how this works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome. It really works well. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I will definitely try this.I usually use salt to clean mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salt works as an abrasive agent. Bicarb here actually helps dissolve the substance as well as a fine abrasive agent. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete