Tuesday 6 June 2017

ADOPTING A GROWN CAT

It's happened. The wait is over. We're new purrents. I am proud to be owned by two beautiful 15month-old gibs, Kaka and Kujo. I remember waiting and waiting for them, on the day of their arrival, feeling like time had stopped. I had only seen them in a photo a few days prior - it felt like they spoke to me. You could say, they chose me, because I stopped my search right there. Would you take in a grown cat? Would you take two?!
My support system allows me to do this, yet it still came with some unexpected challenges that caught me unprepared. So if you're looking to adopt a grown cat, read on.

First, of all, make sure the cat is neutered. I can just feel someone judging me with daggers in their eyes: How inhuman! Well, it's not inhuman. In fact, you're probably saving the cat's life. For a male cat, he won't be bothered when all the neighbourhood cats are going on heat. Thus contained, he won't be run over by a car while entranced in his need to mate. A neutered tom is also good news for you as he won't be spraying his urine all over your house, marking his territory. For female cats, having it spayed helps prevent uterine diseases and infections. Believe it or not, you'll be saving both your male or female cat from cancer, too. And it's also good for your peace of mind, unless you don't mind nursing a litter of kittens every so often. I know, they are adorable, but can you really keep up with the maintenance involved?
Image source

Second thing to consider is housing. When I got the two 'new' cats, I was ready to house them in my own bedroom. When you adopt a grown cat, there is a very high chance that it will get lost if you let it out of confinement within the first few days. Since I have some experience with cats, I knew that I would need a space where they would hide and live for around 2 to 3 weeks before I let them out to explore their new home. Make sure that your cat's new home is peaceful and can be looked up away from the kids and other indoor pets. When the cat relaxes and familiarises itself to the new environment, it will start to spread its own scent here, by rubbing itself on surfaces. In two week's time, this room will be covered in the cat's scent and he will call it home. So when you let him venture out, he will trace back to where he belongs just by his scent.

Third, maintaining good hygiene. This is where I got my shock; two 15 month old cats can really stink up a room!!! The cats I had previously, all went outside. They had developed a routine that worked perfectly with their feeding time, so that once in the house at night, they could wait till morning. So now with adopting grown cats, I have to keep them indoors for a good long time. This has given me a new chore where every morning, I clean up their litter box and top up with clean litter. I prefer the clumping litter by Sanicat, because it's easy to pick out the clumped up poo and pee. Here's some VERY IMPORTANT information, pregnant women are advised not to handle cat litter due to the risk of getting toxoplasmosis. If you really, really have to do it, please wear protective gloves.
Image source

Remember, cats are not like dogs. They show affection at their own pace, so don't try to rush any emotional connection; let the cat come to you. Also, if you have children, set some rules on how they should handle the new family member. I cannot stress this enough. Always supervise while your kids play with the cat. And finally, be prepared for the long term. Did you know a healthy house cat can live for 20 years?! That's two decades of feline fun.

Image source of Cats on Thumbnail: Blue Russian and Domestic Ginger

Read more articles here
Like us at Tulip Facebook
Tulip Cleaning Website
Follow us on Twitter @tulip_ke



No comments:

Post a Comment