Wednesday 14 June 2017

TEA - THAT MAGIC POTION

Lately, I've been nursing the idea of growing my hair... Yet, I don't like going to the salon, it could be because I'm watching my coins...or maybe it's because the cocktail of hair products in use produces a rather potent perfume that's become unbearable for me. So if I do decide to grow these African coilies, I'm going to have to dig up some cheap ways to maintain it at home. In my deep and thorough research I have found an unusual hair conditioner right here in my pantry, TEA.
Apparently, black tea isn't just a health drink. It's a magic potion that can take care of some common household situations, and I've found 10 ways to use or re-use it. Are you ready? You might want to sit down with a hot cup-a-tea for this.

1. Wood Polisher
I know many of us have wooden floors in our homes. While it doesn't cost too much to maintain, here's an even cheaper way to polish your hardwoods: Pour some black tea into a spray bottle. Spritz the floor as you wipe and polish with a microfibre cloth.

2. Fishy Deodorant
I like fish. My kids love it, probably because I can do a mean coconut fish fillet ala ugali et spinach. But I have to admit, I do NOT like the smell of raw fish on my hands. So I'm glad to learn that I could rub tea leaves on my hands to reduce the odour. I haven't tried it yet, because I just use a scented hand wash.

3. Tea for Toilet
Pour some Tea leaves into the toilet to get rid of stubborn stains at the bottom, where your toilet brush won't reach. I must say, I get really frustrated when the toilet brush doesn't go with the contour of the toilet bowl. Simply put some tea leaves and leave for some hours...(not sure how long) Hopefully, you'll be done before the next dump.
Image source

4. Window Cleaner
This is how I clean windows, with water in a spray bottle and newspapers. Sometimes I add a few drops of dish liquid soap to get fancy. Yet here's another good one, black tea for glass cleaning, windows and mirrors. Useful in removing greasy finger prints. Although let's face it, if you're cleaning your windows with black tea you must really love those windows!

5. Pesticide
Pet lovers will love this one, at least I do. Want to prevent fleas from settling on your kitty's blanket or puppy's basket? Sprinkle some tea leaves! Apparently, dust mites and fleas can't stand tea leaves. Since this is harmless to the pets, it's a safe pesticide to use. To kill dust mites, spray some black tea onto your carpet (unless it's a light coloured carpet, which could get visible tea stains!) If you're a daily vacuumer, we won't come to this, because a clean carpet should not attract dust mites.

6. Car Air Freshener
If you like to breathe in the sweet smell of a non-toxic air freshener, try leaving a lemon twist, black currant or lavender Tea bag under your car seat. You can use practically any soothing tea bag...maybe even ramp up the scent with a few drops of essential oils to make it last longer.

Image source
7. Potpourri
I'm one of those people who likes an uncluttered bathroom: One bottle of shower gel, one cake of soap, one tube of toothpaste, one hand towel, etc. So potpourri is not my kind of thing, because it's that one extra thing I could avoid especially since after a while it starts to look untidy...a heap of scented petals in a jar at a corner of your bathtub or windowsill. But, that's just me. If you like potpourri, you can re-use your herbal tea bags to extend the scent. Used tea bags could run out of flavour but apparently, the scent is still fresh. So dry up your herbal tea bags and throw it to your potpourri jar or bag. Maybe I could give it a go.

8. Minty Mouthwash
I hate it when I serve myself a nice cuppa, then I get interrupted and come back to find the tea cold. I'm yet to meet a person who enjoys a cold cup of tea. (Please share in the comments). Yet, here's a tip, you can use your cooled peppermint tea as a disinfectant mouthwash. Just add a little salt. So please don't waste your Twinings. Of course, you can always walk to the microwave and 15 seconds later, your tea is hot again for you to drink!

9. Skin Treatment
Now this I have to try!!! Did you know that chamomile tea is a widely recommended skin booster? And that bathing in herbal tea rejuvenates the skin and also helps reduce acne? Question is how do I apply it? Do I use a fresh or used tea bag? Seriously, my DIY jogoo'n'glyerin facial scrub followed by lemon juice toner is not working that well for me.

10. Tea Spooks
By now, your cup-a-tea must be finished or cold. And if your tea bag tore a little, this may be the perfect time to "read the tea leaves" at the bottom of your empty cup, and see your future. It's called Tasseography, an ancient method still practised today to tell the future. I first saw this in Harry Porter (...and the Prisoner of Azkaban). Of course that's a fictitious story but after googling it, I came across this. Do not bother going there if it will spook you. I just thought I should mention it just to show you how tea truly is magical!

Why do I suddenly have this craving for Kilimanjaro Infusions Hibiscus tea? Gotta have it now!

Image source

Tea mug on thumbnail image source

Read more articles here
Like us at Tulip Facebook
Tulip Cleaning Website
Follow us on Twitter @tulip_ke





No comments:

Post a Comment